Sunday, June 5, 2011

"In Germany, they first came for the gypsies, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a gypsy. Then they came for the Bolsheviks, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Bolshevik. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for the trade unionists and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist. Then they came for the Catholics. I didn't speak up then because I was a Protestant. Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak up." ~ Martin Niemoller, A Lutheran Pastor arrested by the Gestapo in 1937

The gloves came off early on Sunday as the government moved at midnight to break up Baba Ramdev's fast against corruption.

Delhi Police burst teargas shells to disperse the Baba's followers, who had gathered around him to form a "human chain" security cordon after police descended on the scene at around 1.10 am on Sunday. Reports from the scene said the Baba was "physically removed"' from the Ramlila ground and that many people were injured in the melee, which left the venue of the fast in disarray.

Delhi Police took away Baba Ramdev from the fast venue in a midnight crackdown. Reuters
Police sources were at pains to emphasise that they had not arrested Ramdev, and that he would be served an externment order - directing him to stay away from Delhi.

The crackdown was initiated after a day of mutual accusations and recriminations between Ramdev camp followers and the government over the Baba's conditions for calling off his  fast. {Read on}